Wednesday, October 5, 2011

999, What's Your Emergency

So today’s major story:  I had to call the police and go to the police station twice today.  Fun times!  So here’s the scoop.  Today I brought my camera (see pics below) into the kids’ school to take some photos of the kids and their teachers and such.  So when I come out of the school and we’re walking to the car I see this Toyota Land Cruiser (go figure!) backing out of his spot and he is pretty damn close to our awesome, elegant, and fabulous Sunny.  I even thought to myself, “that guy is awfully close to the Sunny!” Well as he pulls off he just pulls back into the same spot he was in.  So I walk to the car and get the kids stuff in the trunk and notice – BAM – he hit the back of our car.  And while it’s not our vehicle, it still is a mark – and this is a 2011 vehicle has just about no blemishes.  Now it does!

 So I don’t even say anything to the kids – but I immediately snap a photo of the damage on my car and pause to see what the other guy is going to do and I’m prepared to start snapping photos of his car.  He gets out wearing a  kandora – suggesting to me he’s an Emirati – and of course I assumed the same once I saw the vehicle he was driving.  So he gets out and goes to the back left of his car and rubs on the bumper area.  I knew with out a doubt at this point he was guilty.  So he walks over to me, I’m still holding my camera at this point, and I ask him if he was the one who backed into our vehicle.  He tells me, “no.”  So then I asked him, “Then why did you get out, rub your care bumper, and why are you over here?”  He said something which I couldn’t understand.  At this point Jennifer and the step-children (Yolanda’s kids) walk up and get in.  Jennifer wasn’t sure they the guy was even there in the first place.  He then gets in his vehicle and starts to drive off – over the curb – on the side of the school through the dirt area.  I immediately start snapping photos. 

Then I thought – what a perfect place to be – at the kids school – since the owner of the school (well his family owns the school) also owns the rental place we got the Sunny from.  I go in and tell him – and they just crack up that I actually had photos of his car!  So he tells me the procedure is to call the police and they come and do their report.  So I call 999 for police, which I was not sure what number to call.  I’m used to 911.  So they call me back and start asking me lots of questions and I couldn’t understand them so luckily someone at the school (the owner’s wife) translated for me and I was to go to the police and fill out some paper since he drove off. So I do.

Get to the police station and of course feel like a fish out of water!  I tell them the details and they seemed shocked I actually had photos – and when I zoomed in you could see the damage on his vehicle!  I was some what surprised when the police officer asked me, "was he Arab?" like that should make a difference of how you handle the situation.  But I know there is special treatment - I've been cut in line enough to learn that lesson!  So they immediately look up the plate number and call the guy!  But no answer – they called 4 times in the 15 minutes I was there.  So I was asked to come back at 7 p.m. 

As I get home, the police station calls me to come back since the other guy is on his way there.  So I of course go right back. It’s only about 10 minutes away – literally a street away from the kids school.  I walk in and feel so awkward.  Here I am a foreigner and dealing with all Emirati folks.  It’s like blood is thicker than water – at least I felt that way.  So I parked next to the guy and see the white line where he hit our car.  So we all go out together and the police take pictures with their camera and all the while – the guy never says one word to me.  He does say something in Arabic and who knows what he says.  Then he collects all of our things and prints some papers and the other guy leaves.  He then asks me if I want to file some formal complaint on the guy.  I wasn’t sure why I needed to.  Then he explains that the other guy was guilty, go figure, and if I wanted to file a complaint on him for leaving the scene I could.  The police told me that the guy claims he couldn’t understand me or talk to me because he doesn’t speak English.  But he sure did say no when I asked him if he hit my car.  He claims to have said to me that he was going to take his daughter home and then come back to the school and when he got back I was not here.  Liar, I think!  I just said no – no need to file a complaint – his insurance will take care of the damage and I didn’t think he was being honest since he jumped the curb and went through the dirt to go around the school.  So tomorrow I’ll go and trade out cars!  Hopefully get something decent!

School get more interesting every day!  Today another teacher said he was spit at three times.  Apparently when he was writing on the board three kids spit on his shirt.  Gross!  And these are 7th graders!  My 11th graders went to the mall today to the cinema and to Action Zone (like Fun City). Not sure what academic value that trip had but it gave me two free periods!  So today I only taught 2 periods out of 9!  No complaining here!  And tomorrow’s Thursday – which means we get out at 12:20!  HOLLA!  Today we had our department meeting and we always order lunch.  We had the awesome – zataar and dessert was shabia.  LOVE IT!  Always look forward to the Wednesday breakfasts! 

Jennifer’s first graders got their vaccinations today.  There was lots of crying, had to restrain one girl, and another girl told the nurse, “if you cause me pain, Allah will get you!”  The girls  were off the chain after that! 

The kids are now becoming interested in buying their lunch at school.  They get a cheese croissant and a Capri Sun.  It costs 3 dirhams. Which is $0.82 USD!  And they were even excited that they get to choose the flavor of Capri Sun they get!  The little things!  Tonight Jennifer asked Caralyn what she wanted for lunch tomorrow and Caralyn said, “well do you have any dirhams?”  We knew what she wanted!  And it makes our life easier!

Friday we’re heading to Dubai to get a piece of luggage filled with food and goodies from home (thanks Maw Maw!).  Should be interesting driving there.  Today I was asking a student how long it takes to get there and he said well if you drive the speed limit (120 km/hr) then an hour.  I asked him how fast his father drove and he said 200 km/hr.  I asked him how many tickets they have to pay every month and he said to me, “well there are 22 (don’t remember the actual number but it was twenty-something) speed cameras and so we know where to slow down to 120 and then go back to 200.  Yea…

Here are some photos:

The police report - only in Arabic.
Hopefully it doesn't say anything bad on me!

My artwork of the accident for the report!

Afternoon car pool!

The damage!

Cole's work. 
Done correctly - but a HOT MESS!
And homework is his favorite thing to do?  REALLY? 

Caralyn & Miss Emily

Cole & Miss Sarah
Cole wanted his picture in front of the word wall.
Such a learner - he is!

Shabiya - not sure how to spell it! 
Tasted soo good! Sweet and flaky!

I can't get enough zataar!  It's thyme, and some other things with some cheeese in a pita.  BEST.THING.EVER!

Today on the way to the kids' school - I was behind this!
AND FINALLY HAD MY CAMERA WITH ME AND READY!
The guy sitting in the back with the camels was laughing at me. 
And this was in the city - not some remote road!

Stay Tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment