Tuesday, October 4, 2011

DING DING DING...

First fight.  Two boys kept playing around and irritating each other and as a typical (well typical for the 3 weeks we’ve been in school at least) situation turns out – a fight.  One boy had enough and just punches the other and off we go!  DING DING DING!  And I never just jump in the middle – and decided not to jump in this one either.  And what was even more interesting was that the class (and all boys mind you!) stayed very calm.  There was no hooting and hollering like I’m used to hearing.  And there were probably 5 or 6 boys (one who is humoungous) who broke it up and then of course neither boy could even attempt to communicate with me in English.  And there was no way to get anyone to deal with it, no one was in their office – which I am sort of used to that aspect .  But I just sat one of the boys outside and eventually someone came by and talked to him and took the other boy.  I was surprised when the adult opened the door and asked who the other boy was (in Arabic of course) no one spoke up.  In the states I’d expect it but not here.  And of course I had no idea what he was asking and he didn’t even try to ask me at all which I find rude but standard.  Finally when he stepped out in the hall again a few kids told me what he wanted and so I just walked the other guilty boy outside. Fun times! And when it was over we were back on track like nothing happened.  Not like they weren’t discussing it and all the punches and who won since all of this discussion would be in Arabic.  Inshallah – it’ll be back to normal tomorrow!

So in a previous post I talked about Jennifer’s furniture shopping experience.  Well there is this “furniture district” where you can find cheap new/used furniture.  After a few stores and haggling for delivery we have a 7 seater set.  One sofa (3 seats), one loveseat (2 seats), and two one-seater chairs.  It is new and only cost $450 dirhamns.  And delivery that night – around midnight – was only $100 dirhams.  So that translates to U.S. dollars - $149!  Crazy!  And while it doesn’t exactly match what we’d have back in our house – it works here! 

The kids are supposed to get their iPads this week.  They are included in our tuition. Cole and Caralyn supposedly picked out a color and a case.  Can’t get 100% details from them – but they are some what put out they haven’t received them yet.  So they can’t wait to get some games they’re used to playing on Grandma’s iPad!  Not sure if we can download them or what. But when we added some songs to our iTunes on the new laptop we found the kids’ VBS music from this past summer – and they were sooo excited to hear it!  Caralyn can listen to it now on her own – on her iPad!  5 yr olds with iPads – OVER THE TOP!

Immunizations – the students here in public school get their immunizations at the school.  They go to the clinic and I’m not sure who exactly administers them but I was surprised that they give them at school.  And someone else told me that they do not have a choice as to whether they get them or not.

Sister Wives!  The joke on our “street” is that all these women we hang out with are my the sister wives.  We’re always helping each other out and I do my best to help them when they need.  Since we all need the same things done with our papers, and documents, and cars, and groceries, etc., we all team up and I make sure we all know what to do and we’re always available to help.  We really used to crack up about the Sister Wives in Abu Dhabi when we’d go out with our neighbor, her three kids, and her mom.  So here I am with three women, five kids, and a stroller.  So we’d pile into two taxi’s and then I’d put the stroller in one taxi, and then I’d jump in the taxi with Jennifer and the kids. I know we had people thinking! 

I had my first field trip of the year (Jennifer).  They came by my room on Sunday to tell me that tomorrow will be a field trip.  Panic set in.  These kids can’t even behave in class how they can behave in public.  The field trip was to Al Jimi mall’s Fun City.  Fun City is like Chuck E Cheese.  It cost them 30 dirhams.  Equivalent to 10 US dollars.  To sum it up, all girls were really good and we had a great time.  Lots of rides, games and even a lunch was provided.  Wonder when the next one will be.



What Cole does best!!!  He loves his movies! 
We love the headphones!

The kids' new table from IKEA

We went in with two other friends and bought our own laminator!


It's SUNNY at the Verows! 
We traded in the Honda rental and now have a Nissan Sunny.
While it's not a sylish vehicle - it gets the job done!  

IKEA - our sitting area outside. 


The new couches I wrote about previously.
upclose couch pattern


We bought us a desk - and the kids. 
Cole's enjoying his ebooks - thanks to Alief!
Caralyn likes Funbrain!

Plugs...irritate me!  Comparing it with US plugs. 

Stew Meat...just like Grandma Betty. 

Cereal for dinner...
Teacher Caralyn...she created her own behavior chart.
I think she will use it for her brother. 
She watched Angela make one - so she made one!
Now she's into taping everything around the house!

Cole's new Spider Man bike!

Caralyn's new Barbie bike.  Well it's like a generic bike -  Clara. 
Surprised it's not Jamila! 

And Caralyn's scooter...Not sure what "character" it is. 

And of course - Cole's scooter is BEN 10!
Caralyn practicing her spelling words!

No comments:

Post a Comment