Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Fun Continues...

And The Fun Continues …
More fun times!!!  It’s so interesting how every day is so different – and with the same kids!  I am used to some consistency as far as what students will typically act up, test the limits, or even do the right thing all the time.  Here – you never know!  Today in another teacher’s class  a student (or maybe multiple ones) poured water all over the table and I’m not sure if It was before the class started and so he put his papers and stuff down on the wet table or if they poured water on the table after he set his stuff down.  Either way – mushkila!  TROUBLE!  I haven’t had experiences like this yet and hopefully they’ll stay away from me. 
Today (Thursday) I’ve actually had a decent day (not to jinx myself or anything!).  We’ve done some learning and it’s been rewarding.  It was fascinating to actually see kids underlining key words they didn’t know and – are you ready for this – actually ASK for the meaning and examples!  And without being told to ask!  WOW!  The text was about 3 grade levels below and they struggled reading it independently.  Finally I read out loud and had to remind myself constantly (and the kids reminded me at beginning) to read SLOW – schway schway!  It was a “small book” reading and had to pages on one single page – and we only read one single page.  That was it!  But we worked with lots of words and examples.  I just might have to teach 12 graders when I get back to the states!  Inshallah!
However there have been some awkward moments where I had to really think about how I was going to respond.  The other day a group of kids (all from Sudan) were talking and would not be quiet!  One student said to me, “It’s always the black people – it’s all about them!”  I was shocked.  I never thought I would hear something like that said over here – and that’s what I told him!  Then he said, “Oh – I can say that because I’m black too.”  So I had a quick talk about how inappropriate that comment was.  Crazy!
We went to the Rugby Club and that was interesting too!  At some point a guy walks up and asks who the parents of “this boy” are.  And can you guess who “this boy” was????? COLE!!!!  I knew something was up the way Cole was trying to hide behind a chair and was all of a sudden soooo shy!  Well he and two other boys were pushing this girl.  And when they were asked who was pushing her down and why they all just blamed each other.  Well the guy who was asking who “the boy” was happened to be the girl’s father.  So we walked out and talked about it and Cole had to apologize to her.  And he actually got him a pouty lip and was on the verge of tears!  I don’t think he ever expected the father to actually come and get us!  But he apologized and then acted like nothing was wrong and started talking to the girl like they were new friends.  It was cute and hopefully Cole will learn that not everyone will just tolerate rough play!  And I doubt he meant any harm to her.  Later at the Rugby Club Cole ran into a friend (Sophia) from school.  Caralyn immediately started playing with her and they had the best time.  She even sat with them to eat dinner. They live in the Village too!  Apparently Cole asked her to marry him already too!  Kids…
Caralyn started her new class last Thursday and she still cried at some point.  So hopefully with time she will get comfortable and enjoy it.  A neighbor is also in this class and they love to play together so that should help.  They did some buddy reading and she was better.  She’s just so shy and sensitive!  OF course not at home!  But she was VERY excited to see her new teacher – Miss Emily – at church on Friday! 
Some Photos:
Interesting shoe display at Al Jimi Mall. 
We went to lunch at Chili's with some friend at the mall after church! 
Our church - each week a different group leads worship.  Love the music too!
Some DAMN CUTE KIDS!
I guess objects in the UAE are closer than they appear.
If that is not what is says - then we don't need to know it!
CC, Bogie (nick names), and the kids.  They all love each other! 
The live across the brick road! 
This is who they ride to school with.
Chili's salsa - NOTHING like it!  So glad it's the same here as in the states!
When you ask a kid name something yellow - they might say egg yolk!
NOT HERE!  If you said orange - then they might say yolk!
Quite interesting the yolks are different colors.  More like a yellow/orange color here!
(wonder if it's because they're more "natural" than we're used to?)
Cole's spelling test.  Lovely handwriting, right? 
And not sure they he did not use lined paper.
And the one he missed - a - really? 
I think he was erasing the capital to write it lowercase and ran out of time?

Caralyn and her new "headband"! 







Stay Tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment