Friday, September 30, 2011

Another Fun One...

Hard to believe we’re 3 weeks into the semester and only have about 10 to go until the break!  Can’t wait!  This week had lots of interesting moments to share!

To start with – one day this week I’m teaching one of my 9th grade classes (the worst of the two!) and finally we’re into our reading with those who wanted to read/learn sitting all in the front huddled up near me and the security guard flings open the door and says, “hallas!” When the kids hear this “hallas” (finish in Arabic) they immediately go wild and like a caged animals set free – jump up, grab their stuff, and run out of the room!  I was just standing there stacking the stories up wondering what the hell just happened. Well as I walk to the English office, I realize my class was the last class heading to buses.  When I finally found out what was going on – we were getting out early because there was a staff lunch we were having.  And apparently there was a text message sent the previous night telling us that we would dismiss early.  But the message was in Arabic.  And I didn’t even get the message.  And shame on my coworkers for not telling me! 

So we go to lunch after prayer time for the staff and the principal talks (in all Arabic of course!) and I’m not even sure what he was talking about.  I gathered from another teacher that he was just telling us what a good year we’re having and thanks for the hard work and then another coworker called some names and some gifts were handed out.  They are apparently getting moved (or maybe moved already?) and then it was grub time.  We sat in groups around a platter that had basmati rice and lamb.  I recognized the lamb – like lamb chops.  And I’m not normally into trying other foods but have since wanted to try more.  So I dug in with my spoon and of course used my right hand only as eating with the left hand it considered unclean.  Then a coworker of mine told me I don’t have to use a spoon that I can use my hands.  He never used a utensil except to eat the yogurt thing with some rice in it.  I never did try the yogurt.  So we chowed down for 30 minutes or so and then had some awesome dessert.  They had the dessert because someone’s wife gave birth to a baby.  Any special occasion like this is a cause for dessert of some sort!  It was all an experience!

The following day we were given two pieces of cake from an English colleague whose son was accepting into a dentistry school.  So again – more dessert to celebrate!  And boy was it good!

This week had many other learning experiences for me!  One student was bringing up stories we were reading one day and I went to collect it from him using my left hand – not thinking – and he was sure to remind me that we are not to use the left hand for anything.  So I am trying to keep that in mind when I use my hands.  Even yesterday when I was handing my papers over to the Emirates Identity Authority to get my official ID card and I made sure I used my right hand!  Didn’t matter that I needed to empty all the stuff on my right arm and holding in my hand just so I could use that hand! 

I have also learned some more interesting things about the military.  I think this is accurate but with some translation issues you never know.  Apparently you have to serve in the military if you are an Emirati male.  One student told me they do two years of “sports” and then two years of “studying.”  So I’m not really sure what happens except the kids will wear their uniforms once a week.  I am not sure where some sort of “military” training comes into play. 

This week has had its moment of insanity!  I picked up my passport and now I’m officially a resident of the UAE!  Which also meant that I needed to hurry and get my Emirates ID card and then my driver’s license.  What an experience!  Things here are typically more complicated than we’re used to and its nuts because we are still not used to it!  So I had to get my driver’s license translated into Arabic and the translation had to be from a “legal” translator.  Not just some typing shop which there are so many around!  So I finally find where the legal translator is.  We brought our new family member, Angela, with us.  We all copied our license so that was one step done prior to getting to the translators office.  OH NO!  When we arrive I realize I left the actual license at home next to the printer and of course he wants to see the original license to verify it’s a real copy.  I can’t blame him either!  So Angela did hers and I came back home – picked up another neighbor – and off we go to get ours done this time.  Well we show up and he would do it except the typing shop a few doors down is closed now and they won’t be able to type it.  So we would have to go back the following day.  So the next day we do that.  And luckily it all goes smoothly and it was actually translated correctly.  We ran into a couple who was on their third try to get the correct translation!  This reminded me that someone always has it worse!  So this trip took about 2 hours to get it accomplished. 

The following day Angela and I head to the Emirates ID and DMV to get the next step of this accomplished.  Jennifer can’t do hers yet because she does not have her passport back yet (should be back in Al Ain Sunday, inshallah!).  We wait two hours at the Emirates ID place.  Would have been quicker except that some Emirati woman and some male friend/companion/family member just walk in and sit down.  And low and behold – typical here – they just get helped right away – never mind that there were four others waiting.  Finally we get through and then we have to go to separate places for fingerprinting and picture – and they separate at this point to a ladies waiting and male waiting.  I was number 90 and they were on 88.  BUT then they all of a sudden have some meeting so I just wait some more.  Finally it was complete.  And you can’t smile for your picture – mouth HAS to be closed.  Funny!  Then we drive to the DMV office and it takes 15 minutes and I walk out with my actual license.  So now I’m 100% legal here!  Next week we get to do it all over again for Jennifer! 

Today we drove our original rental back to Abu Dhabi and we’re now renting from the guy whose family owns the kids’ school.  He had a better deal and great AC!  If we can only get a new car from him that doesn’t smell like smoke and has clean seats!  But that’s another story!  But today I filled up the new car and it was only $18 (US dollars)!  WOW!  We also went to IKEA and bought some more furniture items – like desks, a table for the kids, and some book shelves.  And once we finally got home and getting kids ready for bed – Caralyn’s 2nd tooth came out!  It’s been about 4 days since she noticed it was loose.  So she’s super excited about the tooth fairy coming to visit her.  And Cole was not excited at all!  She’s now two up on him!  When she showed him the other night he put his finger on his teeth to check his and said, “What in the world!!!”  I’m sure he’ll be very upset when she goes to spend her money tomorrow at LuLu’s! 

My schedule is changing at school again!  This is now the 7th timetable change!  Inshallah we’ll get to a point where it all stays the same!  But I never complain and just go with the flow and roll with the punches. 

Some new Arabic words: (Phonetically spelled of course)

Feel – elephant

Chai – tea (go figure!)

Kaslan – lazy (need to use this one a lot now!)

Jennifer and some ladies went out shopping tonight after we got back from Abu Dhabi.  They went to some furniture district and Jennifer bought a 7 seater they call it here.  It’s a 3 seater sofa, a 2 seater love seat, and two one seater chairs.  We’re putting the chairs downstairs near the little area by the steps, and the other two pieces up in the loft area.  Not sure it’ll get much use but it’s NOT a “no touch room” either.  Maybe one day the kids will be comfortable to go upstairs alone and watch movies and play their leapsters up there.

 The kids are doing well in school – academically speaking!  Cole’s having some difficulty with staying in his seat and following directions.  But he has a teacher who seems to have lots of patience and Cole really likes her so it’ll all work out!  Caralyn really likes her new teacher – Ms. Emily – and even wants to go and say hi to her at church.  But she’s still having issues crying at times.  I can’t figure out if Caralyn doesn’t want to change subjects when she’s having fun and doing well or what the deal is. Ms. Emily did say that Caralyn is one of the better writers in the class and she has no academic worries about her so that is good too!  But here we did move across the world, and she’s at a new school, and she actually has a structured day from 7:30 to 2:50 – not just a four hour pre-k day anymore!  And she loves doing her spelling words!  Well not writing them the first day she gets them but once she knows them she loves practicing!  And she’s even keeping up with Cole and he is not always beating her either!  And in math – I noticed today – when we were adding some numbers she was much quicker than he was.  Cole better watch out!  It’s on now!  And Caralyn loves it too! 

It has been a week of firsts for me(Jennifer).   Since we had two cars for this week, I drove to my school and to get the kids at their school.  I survived all the crazy round-a-bouts and the other crazy drivers.  There is a group of teachers at school that have invited some of us to join them during our lunch break.  We share cheese croissants, eggs, water, wafers, and coffee with them.  One even put some incense on me in the morning.  They shared their personal lives too-one of the other first grade teachers told us that she is her husband’s third wife.  WOW!  I know my mouth dropped.  The Islamic teacher told me that she would have us over to her farm when the weather gets cooler.  She has camels, goats, cows, dogs, and chickens.  I hope she remembers that she invited us.  We would all love that.  Thursday afternoon I went on a hunt for bikes.  I spent two and a half hours driving around and going in and out of bazars that did not sell bikes or scooters.  Surprisingly the kids were good.  They even got some candy from a man at an Indian clothing store.  Friday night, I went and bought furniture at a hole in the wall place.  Very much like a flea market.  Glad two other ladies were with me.  Ready to relax the day before we have to start this adventure all over again.

Pics from Jennifer's School:








Other pics:
another loose one!

My 9th graders (the good class!) wanted me to do this!  They loved it!

Some game - they write fruits on paper and the first one to collect all 5 of the same one wins.  They pass one to the right until someone wins.  Some Engligh writing practice!

Yolanda, Jennifer, and Angela @ Al Ain Rugby Club

My residence visa - can't rotate the pic for some reason!  just turn your head!

Dinner @ Rugby Club - Hamour fish

Did she have fun at the Rugby Club or what?

Did he have fun at the Rugby Club or what?

Sass!  She loved her dress from The Colaks!  And she picked out the necklace and earrings!

Lost another tooth!

love...for the time being...

Love It!

No comments:

Post a Comment