Tuesday, September 13, 2011

New Classrooms, New Students, New EVERYTHING!

Day two and three for Jennifer:
I got to meet my Arabic partner’s class today.  Boy were they a handful.  I guess when you have no structure and you come to structure it takes some adjusting.  There was no music teacher , which is where my kids were to go, so my partner willingly took the kids so I could have a break.  And I needed it!  I was exhausted after the second day.  I was shocked to see some of the behaviors.  But the good news is, day three was better.  We did a yes and no behavior sort and the kids enjoyed it.  They are very sweet girls.  I have one “little stinker” in each group.  But they give my partner a hard time too so that was good to hear.  There is a social worker who is very kind and will talk to the kids.  It is amazing how these kids will jump through hoops for stickers.  It amazes me.  But whatever it takes.  Glad that day three was better than day two.  Seems like my homeroom is pretty high.  The second group is not as high.  They like to sing and be read to.  I am able to read some of Cole and Caralyn’s books to them.  They like Barbie and Dora.  Even the Smurfs.  My first  grade teammates are awesome.  It is amazing to sit and hear all of our stories from the day.  One big adventure!!

Here's Shawn's Update:
It’s so interesting talking to Jennifer about the day and just comparing what we think is wild and crazy and yet appears to be the norm here! 
So day 2 and 3 for me were some what of the same.  There were just lots of times in the day where I was just thinking, “this is crazy!”  But it’s amazing to see an education system operating (or lack there of) and wanting to just scream, “here’s how we do it back in my country and it’ll work 99% better than what we have here!” but as we’ve been informed to never actually say, “back in my country….” So I just refrain and sit back and enjoy it.  I really am enjoying the experience even in chaos!  So I have a variety of grade levels.  And I just thought I’d taught multiple abilities in one class – but I feel like I have 10 different ability levels here – not just low, medium, and high. 
Here are some moments that stick out STILL in my mind…
1)       My eyes.  One group of kids in a class (I think my senior group) were fascinated with my eyes.  They asked me if I had lenses. So I took off my glasses and showed them my “lenses” which I translated to mean glasses.  No!  Then I realize they were asking if I was wearing contact lenses.  They kept saying, “ you have my eyes”.  I was like what?!  One even said, “Can I have your eyes?”.  I said, “you just want me to pop them out and give them to you?”.  He just laughed and said, “of course!”.  I said these are not prosthetics and then I stopped the conversation because I didn’t want to elaborate on what a prosthetic was since a student in this class has a prosthetic arm.  Then even when class was done they wanted to know where they can get my eyes. 
2)      New Arabic words!  New words NOT to use!  ZIP.  Teachers are infamous for saying, “zip it” when students just can’t seem to be quite!  So a new LT used that phrase and the class broke out in hysteria.  Come to find out – ZIP – in Arabic – refers to a penis.  And I was super glad that I learned this before my rhyming words lesson.  And low and behold – I started with hip and several groups used zip.  I even pointed out that it was not school appropriate and they acted innocent saying, “a zipper clothes” or “zip your mouth closed”. 
3)      Transferring Classes.  Today I was filling in for a class where there is no teacher – and supposedly we’re getting another one.  I’m already at 27 periods so adding 3 more isn’t huge  for me but for others they’re stressed out.  But that’s another post.  So I walked in to this senior class and realized some of my other senior class kids were there.  I even told one to go to the other class.  Then they were telling me they went to talk to whoever does scheduling here and got moved.  I asked my – “you didn’t want me as your English teacher?”.  They said, “no no no Mr. Shawn – we like you a lot we just want to be with our friends”.  I asked them, “so you just can go and transfer classes because you want to be with friends?”  Their response was, “of course”.  They knew I was puzzled by this. 
4)      Questions from kids.  First day (not sure if I already posted this but if I did oh well!) one student asks me if I’m from America.  After I said, “yes”, he asks, “so you’re from America so you hate Arabs?” I was like really – first day?!?!?! I just said, “if I hated Arabs, then why would I move my family and quite my job and move to a country in the middle east?”.  He just said, “okay”.  Then right after that another student asks (I think the 2nd one asked because I didn’t just tell them the question was inappropriate but actually answered them), “so what do you think about Israel?”.  Uh oh.  I said well I like everyone.  That was definitely an awkward moment! 
5)      Interest in Texas. Several kids are very familiar with the states of the US.  Today a new kid was asking me what state I’m from.  After telling him Texas – he says, “oh – cowboys. Horses?”  I said, “well there are cowboys but it’s not like we ride horses to school and heard cattle when we get home.”  And another student (quite intelligent and awesome English too!) says, “just like we live in the desert with all sand and no water and buildings”.  Exactly!  It was good to find some connections.
6)      My baldness.  Two kids yesterday asked me what happened to my hair.  I wanted to just say, “God made me this way” as I’d say to the kids but knew not to being up the word, GOD!  I have been asked several times too – “Are you Muslim?”  And when I say, “no”, they don’t ask anything else.  I think they’re fascinated with my short short baldness hair “style” because most of them do not have short hair.  No long hair but just not short. 
7)      Greetings.  I have seen several ways they greet their peers and teachers.  Some it’s a kiss on both cheeks – or even multiple kisses.  Not sure how they remember the order or how many.  I’ve also seen a hand shake and if they walk off together – many will hold hands or walk arm in arm.  I have also seen where you shake hands and lead in and touch noses.  Also where one will shake my hand and then bring their hand up to their chest.  Fascinating!  I am curious why they do these but I think it’s just tradition in the various “tribe” of people here.  They do all wear Kandoras (the male one piece clothing).  Different colors and they say it’s just choice.  And some wrap their heads and others do not.  They say that is also a choice too.   
So my time in class isn’t always productive.  These kids are ALL about being #1 in the class and they just want to shout, “FINISHED!” when they complete an assignment.  It’s crazy.  And copying – out of control!  They see it as helping – not cheating.  I was baffled when they were almost proud of getting the paper filled out even though they copied all the answers.  I am trying very hard to not yell or get so angry in class when they just wont’ shut their mouths!  But thanks to some good ole’ Alief strategies – it’s coming together.  I use the “give me 5” all the time – and it is starting to get quiet quicker!  When they don’t get quiet I think of an old co-worker and want to just shout, “UNH, UNH!”.  But I don’t.  I refuse to be like some of the other local teachers I hear in the halls who I’m sure will be losing their voice this week! 
There are several things that I find encouraging and comforting in the classroom and school here.  First – they LOVE To greet you and shake your hand.  And they’re so calm and gentle about it.  It’s not like America where you see who can squeeze the hardest.  And they always talk to you in the hallway.  Students I don’t even have will come up to me and ask me my name and what I teach.  Like they don’t know it’s English!  And then my country of origin – Canada and France!  USA is the last choice.  Not sure why but I don’t ask.
And praising kids - they love this!  I never thought high school kids would like it.  But today I did a thumbs up to a kid who was wild the day prior and he just grinned and did one back.  And they can't wait for me to read their writing or answers and say, "good job".  And every now and then they'll ask me if they are #1!  It's like their young kids in high school bodies.  And these kids are tall - I feel like a "little person" in the hall way but never feel unsafe or anything.  It's interesting there's never any tension or even just pushing/shoving from kids.  New concept for me!
So I’ve been attempting to remind my self to not have ANY expectations.  Things are sooooo different here and so I just go with the flow!  It’s not necessarily like me – and I like taking initiative but I do that within my classroom and leave the rest to follow in place somehow.  Inshallah for sure!!!!  And during planning – it’s weird – you sit in the “teacher’s room” and do some work, or stare out the window, or just sit and think of nothing.  It varies!

Pile of sand (not really that big - just a new thing for us) at our front door. 
Sweeping is becoming a daily chore!
Kids love playing with all the kids on our "block". 
See the trash?  Yea - actual trash pickup is not yet understood.  Inshallah!


Kids and their goodies from Maw Maw

We knew that foods would be different but it was awesome eating beef jerky
and pita chips.  Can't wait to shake-n-bake me some Chicken! 
We love packages!!!! 

Should you want to ship something - send it to:
Shawn & Jennifer Verow
P.O. Box 88888
Al Ain, Abu Dhabi, UAE
056-615-1405

(address don't exist here - and this address goes to the central post office
and the "zip" is actually our phone number and they text or call when it arrives.  Love it!)

Next to our Village.  It's the workers area.  Not sure if they were here or in the area.
It's like a shanty town.  They do have satellite though. 
It is a sad sight. 

Tonight we went outside and I chatted with Yolanda (who lives across from us)
and even did school work on the lap top! 

No comments:

Post a Comment